Monday, October 16, 2006

So What Is The Best Radio Station To Listen To In Philadelphia?

With the recent change in format for WJJZ there is no jazz station to listen to. WJJZ's format has gone from "Smooth Jazz" to a "Rhythmic Adult Contemporary" format - which sounds like a format that is already on many of the radio stations in the area. So now a substitute is being looked for. A station that plays the same or something similar to the "smooth jazz" sound is being sought. Not just by me but by other people in the Philadelphia area as well. I'm not talking about "party" music like "Power99" but just nice sounding music that can be played in the background while one is working. I'm talking about something that isn't too distracting that it would take away from what you're doing - just some nice sounding music in the background.

I listen to WHAT but the shows are so interesting and thought provoking that I get distracted from what I'm doing - so I listen to them when I'm doing something else like cleaning or cooking. My mother was a very big fan of WWDB but that station is no longer around - or rather I should say that that talk format is no longer around. WDAS (in my humble opinion) plays the best mix of music and I say that because I like the "old school" R&B music (which just a "tad" of the newer music thrown in). I have a very special place in my heart for WNAP's "Gospel Highway 11" because I used to work there. And I should listen more to WHYY's public station only because of their topics. I'm also sampling WRTI which is supposed to be (I think) Temple University's station but that is only because I have seen on discussion boards that it has a format similar to "smooth jazz". I have never been much of a sports nut so I don't listen to any of the sports stations. But I know that people have different tastes as far as what they like to listen to. There is even supposed to be a station that plays "big band" music but that's not my taste.

So what is the best station to listen to in Philly? And why?

No comments: