Sunday, January 07, 2007

Lard? - Yes I Cook With Lard!

So many people are surprised when they find this out! My neighbors, the people that I used to work with - even my brother! Its kind of what I'm used to because its what my mother used when she cooked. Of course my mother was born and raised in the south and that is what they used and most of the people I know have relatives from the south or are from the south themselves. Its not that the people I know don't know what lard is - its just that they are surprised that I use it for cooking. In fact some didn't even know that it was still available at the grocery store. Now I do most of my grocery shopping at the Shoprite and they do indeed still sell lard. (Its located near the butter.)


Now I know that there are (more healthy) alternatives to using lard - I just haven't gotten around to using them yet. I have used Crisco and am quite fond of that butter version of the Crisco and I know that there are other things like vegetable oil, etc. But I still cook the "southern" way.

No comments: