Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Gimp

One of the best things about having an all-in-one printer is that it can act as a copy machine. Back a long time ago when I got my first scanner I was glad because now I didn't have to make unneccessary trips to the post office to make copies of something. Now I can copy, fax and scan at any time of the day or night! Once I had to go to a company that specialize in sending faxes because I had to fax a form to a company and of course they wanted it right away and mailing it wasn't an option they gave me - Grrrrrrrrrr! But any way I think it cost me something like $12 dollars to fax a few forms and that made me mad enough to say that I was going to get a fax machine!

Oddly enough my brother is just as computer crazy as I am and he told me of a recent problem that he had when he tried to send an attached file of some forms. It seems the program that he used to convert his documents would only convert them into a .bmp format and since .bmp formats can be huge in size he couldn't attach the file because it exceeded the size limit of his email. That's when I told him about the Gimp Program.


Gimp is a very powerful graphics program that is open sourced and free to download. Here is the website address:

Gimp

I downloaded this program myself and since it has so many capabilities it just confuses the heck out of me but I do use the program when I need the .html coding numbers for different color palets. I'm sure in time I will learn my way around this program. My graphics program of choice is Paint Shop Pro and for more simpler graphic work I will just use Windows Paint.

But the main reason I recommended the Gimp Program to my brother is because this program will let you take a .bmp graphic and convert is to a .jpg or .gif extension which will make the file a lot smaller in size. (I didn't mention the fact that to make a graphic file smaller that you could also reduce the number of colors if its a simple black and white graphic)

So there you have it - another freebie courtesy of the Internet!

No comments: