Friday, March 09, 2007

Powell Funeral Home

Powell Funeral Home Inc

2432 N 27th St

Philadelphia, PA 19132

(215) 229-5205



I have been meaning to talk about this place. People have asked me why I chose the funeral home that I did when my mother passed away. The answer is very simple - it was the same funeral home that took care of my father's funeral service. Now when my father died I was more than 20 years younger and I was kind of in a daze/haze about everything that was going on at the time but I do remember the service (although I don't even remember how I actually got to the service and about what happened after the service but I do remember the service. It was like everything felt like it was being taken care of and there wasn't no need to worry about pesky little details - that is what I remember about the service. I also remember just how dignified and respectful the service was. Later I just kept the name of the funeral home in my memory just in case that they were needed again.

Now when my mother died they were the first people I called. Kind of amazing that they were still in business after all these years. I mean I kept their name in my memory and later looked to see that they were still in business but I never called or found out if they were actually still in business because really who would want to jinx theirself by calling a funeral home and saying "Oh, I just wanted to know that you were still in business". But after my mother died and I called them again I wasn't 100% but they must have understood that when they talked to me on the phone. The plain truth is that they were more than just helpful! My mother's funeral service (just like my father's) was very dignified and the services provided were very professional.

Later, well after the service, I told them that and I also told them that I would talk about them and recommend them to everybody that asked me. Of course I didn't get around to mentioning it until now but that is because there was a descussion about funeral homes in the Philadelphia area and how professional they were (or weren't) and that's what made me remember about the Powell Funeral Home.

This is just a general post about them done on the fly because I was just thinking about them but I plan to add more info about them here. As far as I know they don't have a website but I have some of their literature and I will be posting more information about them here.

You hear abouut how everything is bad in North Philly but you rarely hear about the good stuff!

No comments: